Newent is a small market town 7½ miles (12km) to the north-west of Gloucester. It sits in a shallow bowl of Bromsgrove sandstone with alluvial deposits lying alongside Peacock’s brook. The brook flows through the town from south-west to north-east and into the Ell brook. There are mixed farming areas in the low-lying vales to the south and east of the town. To the north, north-east and west are higher ground and woodland.
Newent has a long history dating back to the prehistoric and Roman periods. By the 9th century there was an important church here, probably a minster, which would have had an associated settlement. Following the Norman conquest the royal manor of Newent was granted to the Abbey of Cormeilles which established a priory. Market rights were granted in the 13th century and the town developed on an irregular plan, with New St (now High St) and Lux Lane (now Culver St), recorded as early as 1300 and Church Street from 1368. It runs parallel to Peacock’s brook which flows not far to the north-west.
Markets and fairs took place in the town and crafts and trades developed. In the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries various industries such as glass making, coal mining, iron making, quarrying of stone and lime, charcoal burning and brick making grew up around the town. Some were facilitated by the building of the canal followed by the railway, both now closed.
The historic core of Newent is largely based on the medieval street plan defined by burgage plots. The town has a broad representation of timber-framed buildings and the exposed examples exhibit excellent period details and ornamentation.
Many timber-framed survivors are concealed behind later frontages and Booth Hall at 1 Broad Street has been identified as a particularly important hidden medieval survivor. We are interested to hear from owners of any timber-framed buildings in Newent. Below is a list of just some of the known buildings of interest that we would like to investigate:
|a||Church St – Church of St Mary
Has a C13 chancel and chapel both with arch-braced collar rafter roofs. The chapel has moulded longitudinal ribs.
|b||Market Square – Market House
A Grade II listed building located in the heart of Newent. Documentary evidence suggests Market House dates from 1668, but was restored in 1864. The 3-bay building was constructed on heavy timber posts which have stone bases. The first floor is close-studded.
|c||Church St – The Black Dog Inn
Internally the ceiling in the front room of the timber-framed wing is divided into 6 by beams. The ceiling beams have very ornate stops.
|d||High St – Good News Cafe|
|e||Broad St – Chip Shop
A C15 building with jettying on two floors. A date of 1465 is written on the gable.
|f||1 & 3 Church St|
|g||25 & 27 Church St|
|h||30 & 32 Church St|
|i||1 Broad St|
|j||50-70 Culver St|
|k||4 Market Square – Harwood House|
|l||24 High St|
|m||1 High St – Linkwood|
|n||2 High St – Noent House|
|o||31-33 Broad St|
|p||37 Church St – Oakwood|
|q||47 Church St – Black Dog Cott|
|r||Market Place – Toad Hall|
|s||2-4 Church St|
|u||32 Culver St|
|v||1 Culver St|
|w||3 Culver St|
|x||5 Culver St|